Wednesday, March 13, 2013

[Week 10] The Longest Way Round is the Shortest Way Home

As many of you know, our team has changed the topic of the Major Project from "play-based learning for 1st grade elementary school class" to "academic public speaking for graduate students in Education." It was a hard decision. We had already spent 2 months and a lot of efforts for the old topic. However, I strongly believe that we made a smart decision to change the topic.

There were several troubles with the previous topic:
  • It is hard to access the content experts.
  • It is hard to access the target audience.
  • There is no agreed definition of play-based learning!

On the contrary, the new topic has various advantages:
  • It is easier to access the content experts.
  • It is easier to access the target audience.
  • We have good ideas of what kind of academic public speaking skills are needed by Education graduate students.

Of course, it is bit stressful to realize the fact that we have only 2 months left to deal with the new topic. However, I do not think the 2 months we spent for the old topic was not a waste of time. Many things we have learned could be applied to the new topics. The 2 months were precious time for us to learn that the old topic was hard for us!

It is not my preference to stick to a plan just because we spent a lot of time on it. If we have already "wasted time," we should not waste our time even more! In order to repent nothing, let us do our best to be successful with the new topic! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kei,
    It is very brave of you all to take on a completely new topic and audience, I wish you all luck! I agree, acquiring access and releases for research with younger learners is very time-consuming.
    I had a question, is your topic addressing the graduate student's public speaking skills or their willingness to take on a public speaking engagements?

    If it relates to public speaking skills, then there are tons of resources, alot of electronic ones, that address the issue. Specifically, there is the ebook: Communication Centers and Oral Communication Programs in Higher Education : Advantages, Challenges, and New Directions by Michael L. King and Wendy Atkins-Sayre that can be downloaded online. Chapter 10, "Focusing on Faculty: The Importance of Faculty Support to Communication
    Center Success" lists facts about student attitudes towards public speaking and seeking tutoring for it.

    I am not certain if you all are planning on separating your research by the focus of oral communication training for international students vs. oral communication training for native English speakers, which is another question I had. On Google Books I also found, Academic Communication Skills: Conversation Strategies for International Graduate Students By Li-Shih Huang. The book has a specific section on "Teaching in the Classroom." The link is: http://books.google.com/books?id=fy8qJJ9VlrcC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

    Finally, I am sure you all have a wealth of information from the IU oral com classes and instructors, but the University of Pittsburgh has an online site dedicated to instructor resources: http://www.speaking.pitt.edu/instructor/index.html

    I hope some of these links were helpful, and I can't wait to see your group's prototype and progress later in the semester.
    Best,
    Fallon

    ReplyDelete